Commission Alternatives - Fees and Requirements

Charge fee in addition to or in lieu of collecting commissions?
Specific Disclosures or written agreements required to charge fees to a client?
Admin fees for insurance placement?
Charges for services unrelated to the placement of insurance?
Additional licensing required?
Insurance producers may charge fees in lieu of or in addition to receiving commissions for insurance placement, provided such compensation is contemplated in the premium/charge for insurance filed with and approved by the commissioner and/or included in the policy.  Producers licensed as consultants may charge fees for services unrelated to the sale or writing of insurance for which the producer/consultant receives a commission.  Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-2616; Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-354; Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-2631. 
Yes.  A consultant may charge a fee only under the terms of a separate written agreement, signed by the client, specifying the services to be provided and the fee to be charged.  A copy of the agreement must be maintained for five years.  Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-2630. 
Yes, see fees in lieu of commissions
Yes, see fees in lieu of commissions
Yes.  A producer must be licensed as a consultant to charge fees for consulting services.  Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-2615. 

Malpractice Damage Cap

Damage Cap Amount

State Code

$1,250,000 for malpractice occurring between 1993 and 2003, $1,750,000 for malpractice occurring between 2004 and 2014, $2,250,000 for malpractice occurring after 2014.